Wednesday 10 March 2010

I am FreeFrom!


Hello lassies!

Again, apologies for the lack of posts. I'm just going to stop saying this soon because I'm never going to have the time to write more frequently :(

I know this isn't exactly fashion or beauty related, but you have to mix it up a bit! Plus, you know I love my food!

Basically, I have all these stomach/food problems bla bla you've heard it all before. ANYWAY, the lovely Jayne from my work (and Sainsbury's) has heard me bang on about all of this enough, so she sent me a very generously filled hamper full of Sainsbury's FreeFrom food and recipes for me to get stuck into.


For anybody who's not familiar with the FreeFrom range, it is basically a heap of food especially for people with different food intolerances like wheat, gluten, dairy, etc (what else is there?)

At the moment I'm cutting down on my gluten intake and avoiding any dairy or eggs, so I was particularly excited about the chocolate and cakes in this lovely selection.

I wanted to try a week eating one or two different meals from the range every day but I got a stupid stomach bug half way through the week so I wasn't able to stick to this. However, I still ate quite a lot of them- pre sickness, so here's a little of what I've tried so far...

Chicken Hotpot
(At work!)
Don't judge it on it's looks (although, as a Southerner, I've never had hotpot so I'm not sure what it should look like!) It was very tasty but not quite filling enough for me, I had to have a slice of FreeFrom bread afterwards to fill me up! 3/5

Hot Cross Buns
I loved these buns. I ate all four in two days. FATTYYY. They tasted just like regular hot cross buns, really fruity and full of flavour. I just toasted them and added a bit of dairy free butter and they were delicious. I'll definitely be buying these again! 5/5

Crimbles sage and onion Stuffing Mix
I was really excited to try this as I love my stuffing and I refuse to eat a roast without it! Sadly, I was a bit disappointed when I used it to accompany our roast chicken last Sunday. None of us could eat it! There was far too much sage and the after-taste was so bitter it really took away from the rest of the lovely dinner :( Regrettably, I can only give it a 1/5

Crimbles Bakewell Slices
These cakes were AMAZING. As you can tell by the picture, they didn't hang round for long. Still, longer than the caramel shortcake biscuits which didn't even make a photo!
I've eaten a lot of bakewell cakes before courtesy of Mr Kipling and I would go as far as to say these were probably even better! They are quite big too, so you don't feel like you have to eat two to get your full deserts worth (is it just me that gets this?!) 5/5 definitely getting these again!

I still have lots of food to get through, but these will do for now! Has anybody else tried anything from this range? What did you think of them?

8 comments:

  1. Aww is that the lovely Jayne who emails me about Race for Life?

    I once tried some freefrom bread but it was too tough for me to eat! lol. But I do think these ranges are fab for people with allergies etc. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a wheat/gluten allergy, somerfield do some AMAZING chocolate biscuts, taste just like normal ones. They are in a black box, gorgeous things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This just reminded me i need to email you :) Those hot cross buns look yummy! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a coeliac so I eat completely gluten free, the sainsburys range is the best! their gluten free fish fingers are amazing! I've never tried the hot cross buns before i'll definately look out for them, hope you start feeling better xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great comments ladies :D

    Victoria- Indeed it is! She's clearly very generous ;)

    Laura- Ah wow I didn't know that, thanks for the reccomendation, I work by a Somerfield so I should definitely check them out.

    Gemma- Haha yes missus, get on it!

    DaisyBee- I never knew that! If you're gluten free then you must miss hot cross buns, I can't recommend these highly enough. Just make sure you eat them toasted and with butter or jam, they're not great dry!

    xXx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an AMAZING post as I am currently suffering from ibs and may need to change my diet but i just can't ever find alternative foods!x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Jennifer- IBS sucks doesn't it :( Just try sticking off dairy for a week or so and I bet you will feel a bit better! Good luck! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im a coeliac so ive tried many of these things! Sainsburies has one of the better 'free from' sections, and most of the things are pretty tasty. I love the caramel shortcake x

    ReplyDelete

I love talking to people so please leave a comment and I'll do my best to reply as soon as possible!